Sunday, January 30, 2011

More Sewing Projects

I can't find the time to sew fast enough for the ideas that are floating around in my head. Sewing makes the perfect combination between saving money and making the items with my style and fabrics.

I started with something simple; a thin blanket for the baby made of flannel on one side and cotton on the other to match the colors in her room. This should be a good weight in case she needs a little extra cover without being too bulky to be unsafe.


I am also hoping to breastfeed little girl and will need something to ensure my privacy. I made a 'hooter hider' which is simply fabric with a neck strap that covers the baby while she is nursing. It is special because there is boning sewn into the top of the fabric so that I can look down and see Baby Girl, but we still stay covered. I can't take credit for the idea as Bebe au Lait was the original source. I love the fabrics that I used, the top is an earthy lime green with brown paisley/flowers. The back fabric is a dark brown with tiny flowers. I love this color combination!


The idea of carrying Baby Girl in a sling instead of toting her in a very heavy car seat carrier while I shop, do things around the house, or any other everyday task is very appealing. I have been searching for which sling to buy and there are so many choices and most of them start at $50 and just go up from there. I decided that I could make one for much cheaper and in a fabric that I actually like. So, I tried the Maya Wrap design. They even have instructions for sewing your own on their website too! I purchased the sling rings online and then picked out a two-sided fabric. Our bear Arthur (a Valentine's gift from Eddie to me a few years ago from the Build-A-Bear Workshop) was the guinea pig. I look forward to using this one day soon to snuggle with Baby Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment